“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” Voltaire
Our ancestors knew that by treating the whole person, mind and body, rather than an illness or symptom, a deeper level of healing is experienced. By using medicinal plants, massage and healing intentions, La Abuela or grandmother, would heal everything from a headache to an emotional imbalance.
Inspired by this folk healer, we have carefully crafted a series of wellness treatments that you can enjoy à-la-carte or for a deeply restorative week, we recommend La Cura de la Abuela, a 4-phase treatment unique to Playa Cativo.
Click on [ ] this Icon to view FullScreen window
- Masaje Lotus: Relieve aching muscles, increase circulation and melt tension away. A blend of Swedish massage, Reiki, deep tissue, acupressure and essential oils customized to your needs. 90 minutes.
- Masaje El Fuerte: Aromatherapy deep tissue massage. Alleviates chronic muscular pain, therapeutic and invigorating, concentrating on especially tense muscles and deep tissue work. 90 minutes.
- Sana-Sana Culito de Rana: “Your tired feet bliss. Refreshing mint and blue clay wrap reduces inflammation in calves and feet, while your mind deeply relaxes through an acupressure head and neck massage. Finish with a restorative foot reflexology massage.” 45 minutes.
- Masaje Thai: Improves movement and flexibility. A series of yoga-style stretches and acupressure techniques applied by the therapist to release muscular tension and energy blockages. Performed over loose comfortable clothing to allow movement. Deeply therapeutic, both relaxing and energizing. 90 minutes.
- El Secreto de la Curandera: Reiki rebalancing of energy centers or Chakras. Boost stress reduction for a balanced mind, deeper relaxation, and inner healing. Feel relaxed, balance and calm. 60 minutes.
- Lluvia del Bosque: Tibetan Bowls vibrational sound healing. Generates a flow of energy (Qi) in the body. Promotes sleep quality, improves concentration and profound calmness. Restores mind-body harmony and relieves headaches. Realignment of the energetic body. 60 minutes.
Body & Skin Care
- Facial La Brisa del Golfo: An organic cleanse. Nourish and hydrate. Clay and lemon face mask detox and rejuvenate the skin. Sage and geranium moisturizing cream and face massage softens the expression and relaxes the mind. 60 Minutes.
- La Limpia de la Abuela Scrub: Full body exfoliation. Vibrational cleanse, removal of dead skin cells, lymphatic stimulation and softening of the skin utilizing sacred tobacco leaves and Blue Zone Marine Salts, following the instructions of La Abuela to clear out negativity from body and mind. Concludes with an application of a customized aromatherapy lotion. 45 minutes.
- La Limpia de la Abuela Wrap: Full body wrap. Detox and rejuvenate. Blue clay from the deep rainforest tightens and regenerates the skin. Excellent aid when sunburn. While in the cocoon, enjoy a relaxing head or feet massage. Concludes with an application of a customized aromatherapy lotion. 60 minutes.
- Hatha Yoga: gentle, basic yoga -focused on alignment with some basic breathing exercises (pranayama) and meditation. Work on your alignment, learn relaxation techniques and become comfortable with doing yoga while building strength and flexibility.
- Vinyasa Flow: Sequence of asanas or yoga postures and Pranayama (breathing techniques) to develop stamina and flexibility. Recommended upon arrival, on the first Phase of La Cura to ground and reconnect.
- Detox Yoga: a practice focused on twists and recommended when enjoying the third phase of La Cura: letting go!
- Yin Yoga: to calm down the mind, relax and surrender to the sounds of the waves, birds and other fauna. A passive style of Yoga, asanas are held for longer periods of time.
- Couples Yoga: a fun practice, hatha, and vinyasa style to practice in communion with a partner. Learn Thai massage stretches to share with each other while benefiting from Tibetan Bowl Relaxation and Meditation session.
La Cura de la Abuela
“…before beginning the process, the old woman, known as La Curandera, whispers a prayer that cannot be distinguished as she massages the back of the aching client with a herbal oil that wondrously eases the pain; I then realize, that the healing not only happens in the body but also in the Spirit¨
As old as it is effective, La Cura de la Abuela, fosters close contact with nature alongside with herbal remedies and customized healing therapies synergically combined and tailored to your personal needs by our proficient therapists.
For a deeply therapeutic experience, we suggest you follow the 4 phases of relaxation in the order suggested: grounding, receiving, let go and recharge. Likewise, you can simply choose the phase that better resonates with you.
With each phase, we suggest several Intention Boosters; activities we have found to ignite the overall experience of our guests.
A special treat when engaging in the four phases is the Huetar Clay Soap, made of Chumico, Tuna, and Guanacaste, this medicinal soap is used to start and finish every day with an intention.
For more information about La Cura de la Abuela, please Contact Uur Experts.